Jack and Mary Beth Banbury — 2021 Tour de France
Vince and Angie,
We made it home safe and sound. I didn’t want to jinx us, but this trip went perfect without a glitch. Our last trip,to Norway in 2019, precovid, resulted in extra stays in Newark due to cancelled flights, both going and coming and lost baggage for five days, so this was a relief!
We both want to say thank you for organizing such a great trip. It was fantastic and greatly exceeded expectations.
To keep the email manageable, here are the top 10 reasons, though I could write 20….
- The bus ride over the Tormulet and Luz Ardiden. Simply amazing and will never be repeated or topped. How could a 52 seat bus drive the course, mere hours before the riders? Thomas sweet talked each gendarme and off we went. At one point, the gendarme asked if we needed a police escort!!!
- Bike Riding the course and over this finish line with fans cheering along the way
- VIP venues which provided unprecedented access. You know when the French president is there, that you are really someone! 50 meters from the final finish line!
- Meeting you and your guides. All of you really went above and beyond to make us feel so loved.
- How you all treated Mary Beth. Even though she was a non rider, she was treated like a queen. We both feel so grateful for this.
- How organized and smoothly everything ran. I have run group trips before and I can see how great you two are at taking care of all the many details. Like Sunday morning trying to get 20 people covid tested and the first two sites are closed!
- Arranging to get three teams to say at our hotel! Unbelievable!
- Giving us great gifts!
- Being so flexible. When 3/4 of the riders ask for a wine tour instead of riding the day before and Peter pulls out the visit to Chateau de Duphane with ease. It was great.
- The guides (again). Each one of them was so competent, so kind and genuinely concerned. Absolutely the best.
Thanks so much. I hope we can arrange the trip to the Vuelta in 2022!
Katie Strzalka – 2021 Tour de France
My dad and I had the time of our lives on the 2021 Tour de France trip. It exceeded our expectations! I am a recreational rider and my dad is 76 years old, and you were able to accommodate both of us without any problems at all. There were too many great moments to list all of them, but the following stood out to me:
• Climbing the Col du Tourmalet! This was honestly one of the best days of my life…to make it all the way up with cheering crowds and with people of all ages, nationalities and abilities alongside me…there are no words. And then to watch the pros climb up mere hours later with the beautiful Pyrenees in the background….it is something I will never forget.
• Watching the final stage on the Champs with delicious food, amazing location 50 meters from the finish line and a festive atmosphere – so fun!!
• The guides were amazing. Sandra was so wonderful to stay back with my dad and help him up the hills, and I learned so much from all of them. They were knowledgeable, encouraging, inspirational, funny and resourceful.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Custom Getaways to anyone, and the Tour de France tour is something every cycling fan should put on their bucket list.
Heather Melton — 2021 Tour de France
July 20, 2021
Vince and Angie,
Thank you soooo much for all you did to accommodate us this year. We had another amazing time and even with the health protocol changes we still were able to safely enjoy a much needed vacation.
We can’t say enough about Thomas as well. His attitude, spirit, and flexibility were perfect. We enjoyed getting to know him and really felt the hospitality he was giving each guest. He also never failed to make sure we felt special as returning guests.
We look forward to Chad jumping back into a riding trip in the future and possibly venturing to Spain in the coming years with you all.
Chad and Heather
Bill Landers — 2019 Tour de France
July 13, 2019
My wife and I booked a private Tour de France trip thru Custom Getaways. I wanted to see the Tour de France live and ride part of the route to celebrate my 70th birthday. My wife did not want to ride, but was gracious enough to accede to my trip choice. From the start of the process, Vince and Angie worked with us on creating a trip to meet both of our needs and to be sure that the hotels, restaurants, and Tour venues knew of my pescatarian diet.
From the time when we met our guides, Olivier DuLaurent and Austin Sellers, we knew we were in good hands. Olivier planned out rides to meet my goals, along the Tour route and thru the gorgeous country. The specials provided by Custom Getaways included a VIP dinner on the route one day – Relais Etape; a VIP trip to the finish of the first mountain stage and the chance to ride a portion of it, with a finishing picture on the podium; and a visit to the VIP area at the start of one stage. Olivier and my wife quickly begin working on improving her French and his English (which was already accomplished). The hotels selected were all wonderful, and the premier dinners at each city were among my favorites ever. So, if you are considering a bike vacation or a non-riding trip to see a Grand Tour bike event, I highly recommend Custom Getaways.
Stephanie Harris—2018 Tour de France
August 25, 2018
Angie, Vince and their son, Austin run a top-notch program. I had no idea we would have such an incredible experience. The VIP access to the tour, plus the wine tasting and the lovely dinners in Nimes, Avignon and Chambery were beautiful. I highly recommend their company! Our guides Nathalie and Giles were awesome.
Job well done!!
Bertha Ramon—2019 Giro d’Italia
June 14, 2019
Best experience ever!! We will definitely be back with these fine folks.
Zaki Anwar—2017 Giro d’Italia
Done TDF twice and was really happy with Custom Getaways.
Suzanne Schoen—2016 and 2018 Tour de France
August 8, 2018
Spent a few tours with the company and always a memorable experience.
Leave us a review!
Of course, any company can only show their best client reviews on their website, so we also want to provide a link to the Bike Tour Buzz website. This is an independent site where past customers can leave reviews for tour operators in the cycling industry. Please note that all reviews for Custom Getaways prior to 2017 were for the previous owners of the company. Also, for our clients from 2017 and since, please feel free to leave a review on this site: http://reviews.biketourbuzz.com/custom-getaways